Thursday, November 12, 2009

Inquiry Plan #1

This week has been a goofy week, we had Rebel Pride this week which is a team building activity day so I didn't get to see my students on wednesday. On monday and tuesday we really started to dive into the book "Where the Lilies Bloom". The kids are really enjoying listening to me read but we have not made a lot of progress with comprehension. We read 1 chapter on monday, but when I went back to assess the questions I had asked orally on monday they could not remember them on tuesday. FRUSTRATING!!!! I decided to switch things up and only do a half a chapter, and drill more on the questions. There are some really important things going on in the book right now. I had to spend my planning picking the chapter apart, looking for the questions that I felt my "higher level" students needed to be asked. I had a more challenging time coming up with these questions. However, I'm playing it by ear to see whether this modification helped at all.


Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Are you asking the whole class the more difficult questions or do you have them separated in ability groups?
    Great job adjusting to the students not working, I had to d tha the other day when over half my students did not do their test review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your reflecting here- it is important not to just keep going but to stop and think why are they not getting this? Chunking the text is a good idea with more frequent questionos. Formative assessment is so important so we are in touch with our students to see what they are getting. I am wondering how this might impact your inquiry plan- will you do anything differently now based on some of your observations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely. The students took a test over the chapters and surprisingly only 2 scored below a 75%. Modifications were made according to the individual student. But for my purposes, I feel that the material is being grasped since I switched things up!

    ReplyDelete