Monday, October 12, 2009

Task 5: Domain 3 A

Article: Understanding How Adolescents Think

Movie: Big Thinkers. Howard Gardner on Multiple Intelligences

Blog: Just Plain Good Teaching: Part Two. Engage the Body and the Brain
How does this relate to the work you do in your classroom?

All three internet sources that I researched talked about student engagement and how important its effects are in the classroom. In the article, Raleigh Philp discusses the need for continued growth regarding active engagement. How do we know our students are being engaged? Do we really understand what it is that engages the students? Philp discusses really understanding the tween/teen brain. Not all parts of the adolescent brain is fully developed. Are they just being slow or non participative when they say I don't know? Or is this a true statement on their behalf. In my classroom, I often get frustrated with the kids, especially when they let their emotions gauge their participation/learning in the room. They are always upset about things, and I tend to get very frustrated when they can't "leave" those problems at the door. However, Philp mentions that often their emotions can guide their outcomes from an early age. He also talks about having several different activities that last no more than twenty minutes. I will continue to work on switching things up to keep students engaged. Both the movie and the blog touched on active engagement in terms of multiple learning intelligences. Are we teaching too much? Is what the kids are learning not enough to stay with them when they leave school? All these things really got me teaching. But as I have mentioned in previous blogs, there are timelines and content to cover. In the movie, the man stated that students are being taught too much. They have a miles worth of knowledge that is only an inch thick. How do we change this? Well, he calls for political backing. Legislators must make a commitment with education to try something new with the hope that it will be successful. Engagement is always my main focus. Without that, it would be a pretty boring 7.5 hours.

How does this deepen your thinking about this domain?

As I researched these sources, I really began to think in more detail as to the significance of active student engagement. Active engagement might take more creative thinking on the part of the teacher, but it can also mean that students are really enjoying themselves in the classroom. It has really got me thinking in more detail about the structure in my classroom. Is it too structured? Am I too worried that I am not letting "loose" so to speak with my activities. Students don't need to be sitting the whole time, they need to be up stretching enjoying themselves. The main thing I would like to work on is incorporating music into my classroom. Learning has many different faces and I think I have not met those other faces. I want my students to have fun, but I want them to learn in the process. I am really working towards getting to that "comfortable" place where I feel like I really know what I'm doing with confidence.

How could this fit into your inquiry plan?

As far as my inquiry plan goes, I would like to really focus on the types of activities I am doing. I always start out with a vocabulary word of the day and then a smartboard daily language activity. I am up for suggestions in terms of how to engage students with a 90 minute lesson regarding reading, since this is what I teach. I would like to focus on activities that get the kids out of their seats and moving. If you guys have any suggestions that would be great. I'm stuck!



4 comments:

  1. I like your idea of using music. I will sometimes use music from the region we are studying. This is pretty easy since I am teaching Social Studies-World Geography. I usually play a country's anthem (or a traditional piece of music) during the "starter" while I am taking attendance. I have found that many students will ask me to play the music again during their 5-7 minutes of "class work" time at the end of the class too. I found some articles on "think-pair-share" strategies, while completing this task, that might be helpful if you are wanting the students to get up and move around the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that you wondered if you are "too structured". Because I feel the students need and want structure, I have lunch duty and in every lunch the kids sit in the same place everyday, eventhough they have that freedom to sit where they want. Activities are great in the classroom, but when they are not done within the "structured" class teenagers have trouble adjusting. My thought is when you add the music be patient at first once they get use to the music it will be benefical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also incorporate music in my language classroom. I create original rap songs to teach Chinese. I use the vocabulary and sentences I taught in the classroom to help my students to review and memorize. Every student can “rap” in Chinese.

    ReplyDelete